4 replies to this topic

#1 Groundpatrol

Groundpatrol

5mm Fan

• 5mm Shooter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:49 AM

So I got this seemingly unused 5mm cleaning kit from my fathers collection as well. I wonder if the typed label on top was a reminder for him, or to keep us kids (at the time) out of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170505_114428.jpg
  • 20170505_114417.jpg
  • 20170505_114349.jpg
  • 20170505_114451.jpg

• nuclearmac likes this

#2 Gary W

Gary W

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

That's awesome!!!! What a great keepsake
Lifetime NRA Member

#3 Groundpatrol

Groundpatrol

5mm Fan

• 5mm Shooter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:29 AM

That's awesome!!!! What a great keepsake

It is, thank you! I'm glad to have it.

#4 JFK52

JFK52

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:21 PM

Great collectible to go with the 5mms. Even more so in that it was passed down to you from your father.

#5 MikeP

MikeP

5mm Fan

• 5mm Shooter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

I have one of those 5MM cleaning kits. The consumables are not there any more, including the brass brush and such, but the rod assembly and patch-sticker hardware are still in there and still being used to this day.

We've had this cleaning kit since buying our 591 when she was brand new in the very early '70s.

Now to tell the rest of the story: A number of years ago my 591 suddenly announced to me that she decided she had been birthed with the wrong plumbing on the end of her bolt. She said she was no longer happy because of the disappearing rimfire blues. And so after a bit of research, we got her a centerfire reassignment surgery thanks to a certain Dr Schroeder who operates in California. She was soooo happy being a centerfire, and so she became quite active in her new centerfire community, meeting lots of fresh, new, highly charged centerfire loads who joyously fired their potent charges right down her barrel. Can you say, eureka!

Well then, the rest of the rest of the story is that not long after that first eureka moment, another 5MM showed up at the door, this one a rimfire 592, which we quickly adopted, but she immediately became jealous of the centerfire 591 and all the newfound attention she was getting. So, to keep peace in the family we got her a Dr Schroeder centerfire reassignment procedure done to her bolt. Since then, those two centerfire girls have been doing very well, thank you, and keeping things clean with the spiffy little 5MM cleaning kit pictured above, which proved to be fully competent handling the centerfire girls even though it was originally assigned specifically to rimfires.

I might note that even though a couple of new rimfire rounds have risen up in the past 10 or 12 years to meat the demand of all those lonely rimfires that had been sitting on the shelf, my two centerfire girls have not in the least been tempted to redo their reassignments because they LIKE being centerfires. Anyway, who knows how long the fickled new rimfires will hang around this time. We hear they already are becoming hard to find. Deja vu, no? 

That's my story about the 5MM cleaning kit and all that they clean.