#1 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

I have an adequate supply of rimfire ammo, but keep thinking on the centerfire conversion.

To those who have tried it, do you still do it? Was it a worthwhile venture in accuracy gains?

Have any good load data to get me going?

Thanks!
  • JDP likes this

#2 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

Well, have the conversion and some AA #9 (yet still need the dies!). Trying to figure the spectrum of usable powders that could be tried. Only have found about 4 or 5 that have been used in my web searches, and most seem a lot slower than the rimfire.

Anyone have a favorite bullet? Or pet load?

My conclusion is most who have tried this have given up on it, and I probably should abandon these thoughts now, however the possibility of one upping the rimfire cartridges intrigues me.

#3 Gary W

Gary W

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

My first 591 was also a first CF conversion, I did the Schoreder conversion. I never had any intention on converting it back to RF but wanted that option.

This was before the C-RF ammo release. All I could compare it too was the newly released 17 HMR. Accuracy was good with the Hornady 32 gr vmax.

Where the 5mm shined for me was shoot'n PDs in the wind, it was easier for me to connect with the PDs than using the 17 HMR side by side in the field.

Eventually a really awesome individual got me another 5mm Mag which I used for the newly released C-ammo. Now what I noticed was richochet every once in a while that I had not heard before. Also the expansion wasn't as good with the RF (white box) ammo. The RF ammo wasn't as goo as my CF loads.

I was very happy with the velocity of my reloads, especially the milky coated 30 gr lead cast bullets I made from tire weights. If I remember correctly they ran around 2600-2800 fps. First time I made or even shot lead and heard horror stories of leading up the barrel so I didn't shoot them as much.

My son started calling raccoons in some years ago and found the RF version to be his favorite. But I also uses the 22 nag from time to time.

When I get home I'll look for the data and try to get it posted.

The 5mm was good clean fun. No regrets on any time or money spent with the 5mm.
Lifetime NRA Member

#4 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Gary. That's encouraging to hear. My conversion is the Schroeder also. Looks to be a nicely made piece.

I'm not opposed to lead if it's a top performer, but not sure I'm up for making my own, and uncertain how available molds are. My first choice would be jacketed, but will dig into it if lead works better. Your speeds look great.

I've never had much trouble with expansion of the Centurion rimfire rounds. Do a lot of paper punching anyway and trying to keep up with my buddy and his 17 hmr powered Anschutz. On the crows and squirrels, the 5 rf has been ferocious.

Appreciate your input and response. It's made me all the more excited to try the cf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users