#1 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

Finally put this thing back together. Couldn't get the stock finish I wanted. Not 100% satisfied, but I can live with it for now or at least until I put a few more rounds through it.

Cerakoated the steel, Timney trigger, BKL mount, old Redfield 3-9x widefield scope and refinished the stock.

Now to get out and shoot!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140705_190735.jpg
  • CM140705-184902006.jpg
  • IMG_20140705_190546.jpg
  • IMG_20140705_190629.jpg
  • IMG_20140705_190649.jpg
  • IMG_20140705_190851.jpg

Edited by Magnum, 05 July 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#2 Glen

Glen

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

Looks good Mag!!

#3 corsag

corsag

5mm Fan

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

Could you give me a rundown on the steps you used to refinish the stock?  What color stain?

#4 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

I wouldn't wish my steps on anyone.  I made it a lot harder than it has to be in my quest to achieve just the right 'satin' finish. 

I used Lin-Speed.  http://www.lin-speed.com/ Great product and highly recommend their pro-finishing kit, which has a pretty good how-to booklet and micromesh sand paper.

Basically strip it, finish sand it, apply  2 coats oil, reduce it back to the wood with 000 steel wool (actually recommend synthetic as not to imbed steel fibers in the wood) - do this process until you are happy with the pore filling (the booklet explains this well).  From there you could do your final oil coat, but this is where I had issues.  I could never get the final coat the way I wanted on this one.  It would pick up lint or whatever as it cured, and would feel it and also was just a little too glossy.  Any attempts I made to sand it at that point (after final finish had fully hardened), just didn't work out. 

I realized that I could achieve the look I wanted with just the micromesh and not applying the final oil coat.  It's still sealed as you are not sanding it back below the oiled surface.  I then hit it with gun wax just for a little added brightness. 

I'm tempted to try Tru-Oil for comparison and have heard good things about it as well.  I've done another stock with Lin-Speed and was much easier as the smooth surfaces were shorter and more broken up with with stippling and such.  I'm an amateur at this stuff, but am learning.  

Oh... and don't stain it unless you have a poor looking piece of wood to begin with or are wanting something custom/different, IMO.

Edited by Magnum, 15 August 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#5 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

Here's the first stock I did with Lin-Speed for comparison.  Was my first attempt at a custom stock (or any wood finishing for that matter) on a Remington 511 project.  Very happy with the results.  Again, did not use stain on the flats (walnut stock), but did on the stippled areas to darken it up.

CM140816-093326006.jpg CM140816-093102002.jpg CM140816-093253004.jpg CM140816-093311005.jpg

Edited by Magnum, 16 August 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#6 corsag

corsag

5mm Fan

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Looks Great!

#7 JDP

JDP

5mm Fan

• 5mm Shooter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIL.

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

Sweet refinish job,I will do my 591M stock this winter.hopefully it looks as good as yours.

#8 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks. I was never a fan of woodworking projects but have found myself taking on a few and am starting to like it better.

Don't worry - yours will turn out fine. As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Sometimes that can be the hardest part though!

#9 zipsdad3115

zipsdad3115

5mm Fan

• 5mm Shooter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

I refinished My 592m about a year after I bought it. They put what looked like a cheap clowdy varnish over a beautiful walnut stock. Never having done one before, my dad jumped in and said once it was stripped and sanded to just rub in several coats of linseed oil. That's what I did and have been to my guns ever since. It gives a nice deep oiled finish, which was all I was looking for. Nice thing about it was any scratches could just be sanded out and re-oiled easily. Last couple stocks I decided to use tung oil, using many coats rubbed in gave a nice low gloss. But, looking at some of the pic of you guys guns is putting me to shame. Also giving me an excuse to go back in and give my old work horse a little fancier look. 

I would include a pic of mine but still trying to figure out how to do that. ( not real computer savy ).

#10 Magnum

Magnum

5mm Fanatic

• 5mm Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:50 AM

Nice to see some life around here. We all still love our 5mm Magnums, just not much new to discuss, unfortunately. And most hunting photos end up being a bit ghastly. :)

We'd love to see your rig. Let us know if you need help posting.

Still contemplating a heavy barrel and different stock for my 591 (the one in the photos above). I bought mine as a fixer upper off Gunbroker some time ago. It was in pieces, had some surface rust spots, stock stripped, had a few dings and a small forearm crack and the trigger broke in transit. Therefore, I've felt at greater liberty to have at making changes to it. I still want to try it as a centerfire! But then Eric keeps making me think I should put the funds toward a .218 Bee instead. I'd like to do both!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users