31 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I, like many others, have hoped for a modern factory rifle chambered in the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum caliber. Obviously, having one that shoots well is top of my list, but having a few other options would be nice as well. At the last SHOT Show, I put together a few people I know and we brainstormed together to come up with a viable, available, factory action, that could be converted into a 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum. The folks I worked with decided that the only action that would work with the pressures of the 5mm RRM would be the CZ Model 452/453 action. It was believed that it could handle the pressures, plus offer a quality rifle that was readily available (eventhough it is discontinued, there are plenty of rifles around), as well as having plenty of after-market parts for future builds.

For the first prototype, I decided that a single shot rifle would be perfect to start with. That would allow me to have a rifle in hand that I could test, before tackling any magazine/feeding issues and possibly halting the project all-together. Besides, my new favorite rifle was my Thompson Contender Carbine, so having a single-shot was actually preferable to me.

After trading my daughter an IPhone for her CZ Scout (in .22 Long Rifle caliber), I had the gun delivered to my gunsmith. He proceeded to work his magic, even after running into a few issues that were unforeseen. I had ordered a barrel blank in .204 caliber from Green Mountain Rifle Barrels and had him chamber, cut, contour (the best he could) and fit the barrel. Of course he did his best to redo the short Scout stock, so it would fit an adult shooter. My fears of this becoming a "Franken-Rifle" became realized when I opened the box after receiving it. I chuckled to myself when I first picked it up, because it was one ugly rifle. But, the question soon became, how would it shoot?

rifle2.jpg

rifle1.jpg

For my first outing, I mounted a Center Point Mildot scope I had recently acquired, with some BKL Medium rings. The fit was good, the rifle felt comfortable and if I closed my eyes, I could actually imagine it being a factory CZ Model 452 in the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum caliber!

I took it up to the Central Valley area of Southern California and proceeded to sight it in. I had no problems dialing it in and proceeded to shoot three shot groups with the Centurion Ammunition (both White Box and Varmint), as well as with the original Remington 38 grain offering. The results were good at 75 yards (top) and a second trip at 100 yards (bottom):

Centurion-5mm-White-Box-30-grain.jpg Centurion-5mm-Varmint-30-grain.jpg Remington-5mm-Green-Box-38-grain.jpg

Centurion-5mm-White-Box-30-grain-10-01-2012-22.jpg Centurion-5mm-Varmint-30-grain-10-01-2012-11.jpg

I'm very happy with this rifle and have gone to the expense of making it look more like a CZ 5mm Rimfire should. I replaced the wood stock with a CZ Silhouette Stock, in black (see picture below) and have since replaced the CenterPoint scope with a Swift Scope that I had on my old Ruger 17 HMR. I have not had a chance to shoot it again, but predator season is here and it will be sure to get a work-out on some close-in Coyotes!

CZ-5mm-Rimfire-Scout-Black-Stock-1.jpg

I have some hunt reports that I will be putting up in the next few days. The results are as to be expected with any 5mm Rimfire... Devastating!!

Lastly, I wanted to explain why I put this up right now. I know the folks who love this caliber are getting very discouraged with the way things are going with regards to new rifles. I wanted to put this out there to let you know that I am working on some alternatives that should fill the need for now. I don't recommend everyone run out and pick-up one of these CZs and hand it off to just any gunsmith to convert. Although this is a working prototype, there is still a lot of work to have a final version that I can say works safely and flawlessly, we are VERY close!!

Hang in there and keep checking back here for more information on this project! Also, feel free to link this story any where you want.

Eric A. Mayer 8)

#2 Glen

Glen

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

This great Eric!! Looks like the Bride of Frankenstein is a shooter too!!

#3 reelman1

reelman1

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationTulsee Town (Tulsa OK)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Lotsa Q's. How did you shroud the case head? Extraction problems? Would you explain the lockup mechanism? I haven't been able to find much about it. I ran some BFT calculations and didn't see a problem from pressure, can you tell more about why this rifle was in the ball park? Great project that the manufacturers have dropped the ball on. Great results too.

Edited by reelman1, 07 November 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#4 Glass37

Glass37

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSE MI

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Eric, I applaud till my hands bleed the efforts of those who know the 5mm cartridges difficulties ,trying to find a way to get a modern rifle into the hands of the 5mm faithful. Would a break action type H&R/NEF rimfire action be something feasable? The extractor/ejection system would seem to be perfectly suited since the case head would be fully enclosed. The stub/barrel assembly should fall right into Lowell's area of expertise. I know that he has a lot of time and money in developing his repeater rifle but something like this could help fund his further efforts. Your post confirms my suspicion that there are things going on in the background. The sooner the "AHA" moment happens the better for the future and growth of the 5mm.

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

I cannot give too much information right now, but it is a standard 452 action, which has the extra locking lug (they got rid of that with the 455). That locking lug is what we felt would give the added strength needed with the 5mm pressures. We made a few changes to the bolt, but until I have prototype #2 in my hands, I can't really discuss it.

No extraction issues either (I just hit 400 rounds through the gun).

Btw, the only reason I am not getting into details is because I do not want people to think it is a simple switch, so they run to their gunsmith and create a hazardous rifle. There were internals changed as well.

Glass - I am working with another couple of gunsmiths on this and we are taking a completely different route than Lowell.

Here's a teaser from one of my hunts:

firstandsecondkills-whitebox-and-varmint.jpg

Eric 8)

#6 Glass37

Glass37

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSE MI

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

The no extraction issues in 400 rounds sounds great!!!! Since I started shooting my 592>1 as a single shot I found the 20 to 30 sec. delay in extracting always comes out easier versus immediatly trying to chamber another round. Really hope your protype#2 is a winner,it will give me an excuse for another CZ. I've got one now,a 452 Varmint 17m2 that is a laser,so no way is that one a candidate.

#7 reelman1

reelman1

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationTulsee Town (Tulsa OK)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Eric.

#8 YAV8

YAV8

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

I have a Rossi in 17 and I enjoy shooting it for what it is. BUT if I could find someone to chang the barrel to a 5mm I would ship it and have it done. Rossi is another one that make a nice single brake open that could be a easy conversion for them.

#9 5MMEagle

5MMEagle

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Nice Job Eric, The more action we have in the 5MM field the better.

Lowell
The Mighty Little 5MM

#10 mopar lou

mopar lou

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationElizabethton, TN

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Gee Eric... I just got my 23" contender bbl from Eds... don't have a frame or stock yet. I was patiently waiting for CZ to make one, they were actually working on it, then the economy took a nose dive, and I think they were having pressure problems so they discontinued work,, Great you found somebody that apparently is smarter than CZ!! Will probably sell my 591 to finance the Contender frame and stock, keep my 592. Keep us posted on the progress!

#11 Southwest Chuck

Southwest Chuck

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Very Cool ! Good Luck and keep us updated.

#12 Gary W

Gary W

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Fabtastic work Eric! cant wait to hear more details as this project comes along. You have me getting interested now and have other questions....
Lifetime NRA Member

#13 17VLD

17VLD

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock,Colorado

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for what you are doing in this field Eric.I think its about time that the gun companies realized what the 5mm can do and that people are longing for
a new suitable action to handle a cartridge that was way ahead of its time.I think with all the new powders and bullet technology we have now,the time is ripe for new life with the 5mm.
Matt
NRA Benefactor member
VHA Life member
IBS member

#14 FormerCATM

FormerCATM

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Eric,

Just curious, what were the problems with using a Ruger 77/22 action, especially one originally chambered for the .22 Magnum?
Zeke
MSGT, USAF (ret.)
"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

#15 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Too much pressure and the way the barrel is set-up with the magazine. The 452/453 action is the only one that can handle the pressure at this time.

Eric B)

#16 Gary W

Gary W

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

I agree with you Matt, it’s just a matter of time. The neat thing is someday you'll be able to tell your grand kids that you saw it start to unfold with the first proto type rifle here on this forum!

Glad to see you post over here!

Lifetime NRA Member

#17 Jasen

Jasen

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Wow! A 5mm based on a CZ, I'll take one! Where do I sign up? I would definitely buy a 5mm CZ varmint rifle!

#18 Gary W

Gary W

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I think there would be a good following if CZ will produce it... JMO

Also will be interesting with the new WSM and how it will perform compared to the 5mm Mag because as of today the most powerful hard hitting round out there (I believe) is the 5mm Mag with the 30 grain JHP varmint bullet at a MV of 2300 fps with 352 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy.

Lifetime NRA Member

#19 Jasen

Jasen

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think there would be a good following if CZ will produce it... JMO

Also will be interesting with the new WSM and how it will perform compared to the 5mm Mag

17's just don't appeal to me. To fast, to light, and not enough oomph behind it. Like shooting a needle through a rabbit.

#20 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 482 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I have not had time to put up the hunt report and videos, but here is a picture I took after a quick day of shooting targets. This is the first image of the gun with my Swift scope on it.

CZ-5mm-Rimfire-Project-1.jpg

I'll get the entire story and video up next week.

Eric B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users