15 replies to this topic

#1 bridgebuilder41

bridgebuilder41

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

I was at my gunsmith house yesterday and he said i have a gun you need,it was a remington model 591 5mm magnum,the stock needs some work and the sights are gone,but everything else looks good,this is the first one i have seen,what would this gun be worth....the stock can be redone and i can put a scope on it...

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 480 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Welcome Bridgebuilder!

I would offer him $250.00 and see where it goes from there.  The local gunshop here had one for $195.00, but the stock was severely damaged by someone trying to bed it.  I was going to buy it, but could not find a stock at the time, so I passed.

After you test fire a couple of dozen rounds through it at a target, make the offer and see what he says (assuming it functions well and groups decently).  There are really nice ones going in the $350.00 to $400.00 range, with some going for even less.

Let us know what happens!

Eric  8)

#3 JFK52

JFK52

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSouth Central WI

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

My gunsmith had a  cherry 591 for sale in his rack for a few years before the new Aguila ammo was announced. I picked it up for $200 just before the new ammo hit the market. I have seen them go for between $250 and $450 on the Gunbroker auctions I have followed.
There does seem to be an increased demand for these rifles now that the Aguila ammo is available at a reasonable price.

#4 5mm Remington Mag Baby!

5mm Remington Mag Baby!

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

Probably a decent buy at $250 considering the stock condition and missing sights... let us know what happens.  Also, post a pix if it comes out as a purchase!

#5 medic52

medic52

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

I rescued one from an auction awhile back and it was in rough shape. I gave 190.00 for it, but it needs work

#6 juanjo322

juanjo322

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationLAREDO, TX

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

For my Model 592 I paid 500.00! included was a the nikon prostaff scope and 500 rounds of ammo.. I couldn't pass up.. these are starting to get harder to find.. and I just snatched up another 5mm in 591 with the complete conversion with the flexibility to change it back to rimfire, dies, brass, bullets, scope, bipod, and and and.. I traded 2 Cz's for this one though.. may not have been the greatest deal but again these are getting harder and harder to find... :)

Juan

#7 MarinePMI

MarinePMI

5mm Fan

• Technical Editor
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Welcome Bridgebuilder!

I would offer him $250.00 and see where it goes from there.  The local gunshop here had one for $195.00, but the stock was severely damaged by someone trying to bed it.  I was going to buy it, but could not find a stock at the time, so I passed.

After you test fire a couple of dozen rounds through it at a target, make the offer and see what he says (assuming it functions well and groups decently).  There are really nice ones going in the $350.00 to $400.00 range, with some going for even less.

Let us know what happens!

Eric   8)

Eric,

A Rem 541 stock will fit a 591, and Numrich usually has them in stock.....

#8 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

5mm Fanatic

• Administrators
  • 480 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, it looks like they don't have any right now. 

I'm going to keep looking and see if I can get an extra one to send to a custom stock maker I know who can use an original to make blanks.

Thanks again.

Eric  8)

#9 bridgebuilder41

bridgebuilder41

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Went to my gunsmith house today to bring him a shotgun to work on,he still had the 591 5mm magnum,so i ask him what did he want for it,he told me he would take $100.00 for it,so i brought the 591 home with me.so now i need to get the stock redone,can you get a new red plastic remington 5mm magnum piece that goes on the stock,mine is more of a dull red color.and where can you still get parts if you need some for it.the rear sight is missing,but i am going to put a scope on it.....

#10 5MMEagle

5MMEagle

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

Bridgebuilder

You got a great buy.  You can shine that grip cap up with so acryllic polish and and a little elbow grease.  Numrich Arms has some spare parts.  We also make a few parts as they are needed. So if you can't find what you need let us know and we will try to help.

Lowell

#11 medic52

medic52

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

IMHO-----you stole that one friend

#12 glen1

glen1

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

I would buy them all day long for $100.00 if all it needs is a little stock work!! I think you did quite well.  Enjoy...

#13 bridgebuilder41

bridgebuilder41

5mm Fan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

I tried numrich arms for a grip cap,but it said they were sold out,where is a good place to buy bullets for it....

#14 reelman1

reelman1

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTulsee Town (Tulsa OK)

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

CTD has the best price on the HP, and AmmoToGo for the FMJ HP.

#15 juanjo322

juanjo322

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationLAREDO, TX

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

$100.00! WOW you literally stole that one.. That's awesome Congrats on your found treasure, for stocks, I don't know many that offer stocks but I did learn about Joel Russo, he builds stocks to exact specs, it is my understanding that he can build one around your action for a perfect fit. I have sent him an email and he said that he might have it for just about any rifle out there but if not he can custom make one for a low price. As soon as I hear back from him I'll let you know what he said.

-Juan

#16 juanjo322

juanjo322

5mm Fanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationLAREDO, TX

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

Joel Russo, from Russoriflestocks.com said that he can cnc a stock from your action, but that would cost 150 per program and ensures a perfect fit. This + the cost of the wood can give your firearm a unique custom look. I am thinking of doing this for a couple of my rifles.

-Juan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users